Skip navigation


Serving the Greater Albuquerque Area

Is Your Furnace Safe to Run?

furnace-flame-blueLong ago, owning a central heating system was a little risky. There was little protection from gas leaks, fire, and carbon monoxide leaks that could turn deadly. Today, furnaces that run on natural gas are much, much safer. Still, if it’s been a while since you’ve used your heating system, you might have some concerns. And these could be justified.

So is your heating system safe to run this season? To find out, ask yourself these questions. If you have any concerns, call our team and we would be happy to give your system a full inspection.

Have you had a recent inspection?

The best way to tell if your furnace is safe is to schedule an inspection. Even if you had an inspection last year, it’s worth the peace of mind to do it again. An inspection and tune-up together can get your heating system into shape, and many technicians offer a deal on this service. If there is something wrong with your heating system, they’ll let you know so that you can get repairs ASAP.

How old is your furnace?

If you have a furnace that is decades old, it’s time to consider a new one. The fact is that newer furnaces are far safer than those built decades ago, for several reasons. First, newer systems don’t need a standing pilot. A standing pilot light can be dangerous, and it also uses a lot of energy. Instead, electronic ignition starts the flame when you need it, and a flame sensor shuts the system off if there’s no flame present.

In addition, newer systems have more safety switches than they used to. A vent fan, for example, can ensure that toxic fuel-burning byproducts vent to the outside. If the fan isn’t working properly, the limit switch shuts off the system.

When did you last change the filter?

A dirty air filter can cause more damage than you may think. Air cannot flow through the system with ease, which means that the furnace could overheat. Keeping the filter clean is actually a great way to stay safe (and save money). Change your home’s air filter once a month, or at least every 3 months.

Do people in the home get ill?

This is a serious and scary question. Carbon monoxide leaks can cause illness, and even death. If people in your home start getting sick in the winter, including issues like dizziness and nausea, take the issue seriously. Shut off your system and call in technicians for an inspection.

Do you have smoke and CO detectors in the home?

Smoke and carbon monoxide detectors help to give you peace of mind. You may not be able to see a carbon monoxide leak or notice smoke while you are sleeping, but a detector and alarm can. It is still important to have your heating system regularly inspected. But a carbon monoxide detector and smoke alarm is excellent backup. Just be sure to test them each month!

Contact Axiom Home Services, Inc. today! We install and service heating systems in Albuquerque, NM.

Comments are closed.